- This event has passed.
Understanding and Treating Chronic Shame: A Relational/Neurobiological Approach Study Group
October 10, 2016 @ 7:00 pm - November 28, 2016 @ 7:00 pm
*Please join Cally for a study of the book by Patricia DeYoung. Dr. DeYoung will be presenting a full day conference next Spring for MICPP. This group will meet for a pot luck and an evening of discussion. For this group, please purchase the book which is published by Routledge.
Synopsis of Understanding and Treating Chronic Shame: A Relational/Neurobiological Approach
Chronic shame is painful, corrosive, and elusive. It resists self-help and undermines even intensive psychoanalysis. Patricia A. DeYoung’s cutting-edge book gives chronic shame the serious attention it deserves, integrating new brain science with an inclusive tradition of relational psychotherapy. She looks behind the myriad symptoms of shame to its relational essence. As DeYoung describes how chronic shame is wired into the brain and developed in personality, she clarifies complex concepts and makes them available for everyday therapy practice.
Objectives for Chronic Shame Group:
- Participants will understand chronic shame.
- Participants will understand the relational aspects of chronic shame.
- Participants will understand the neurological narratives of shame.
- Participants will be able to foster a right brain connection with patients to facilitate shame.
- Participants will be able to assess for chronic shame in their patients.
- Participants will be able to identify dissociated shame in their patients.
- Participants will be able to help patients with “Lifetime Shame Reduction.”
Group will meet the from 1:30-3:30 for the following sessions:
11/19: Session Two: Chapters 2 and 3
12/16: Session Three: Chapter 4
1/27: Session Four: Chapter 5
*Will be held at Nancy Miller’s home
3736 47th Ave S.
Minneapolis, MN 55306
2/24: Session Five: Chapters 6 and 7
3/24: Session Six: Chapters 8 and 9
4/28: Session Seven: Chapters 10 and 11
Home of Nancy Mulvey
1785 Beechwood Ave
St. Paul, MN 55116
Attendance is Free!